Fear of being judged by others is natural, normal, and no one eludes it completely.
So why the heck is it such a big deal?
Well, When you have a big vision, a deep calling, a mission that
can no longer be ignored and you have one massive hurdle separating your gift from the masses that need it (ya know… fear of what others will think) it becomes a big EFFing deal.
Building a business from scratch is not for the faint of heart.
This journey requires us to dive in to depths of ourselves that have been forgotten. Reconnecting to our sense
of self and the parts of our mindset we’ve, perhaps, never had to strengthen in this way before.
Part of this process is rooting out beliefs that keep us from allowing our light to shine out into the world. And, fear of judgement, if you’re anything like me, is at the TOP of the list. It is scary, and paralyzing at times.
But the world needs what you have to offer. So whatcha gonna do about it?
Take these five steps to let go of self-doubt and avoid being paralyzed by the fear of being judged:
- Stop Judging Others. I’ve found that those who most fear being judged are the quickest to give judgement. Why? Well, perhaps, you are so busy trying to live up to other peoples expectations that no one is living up to yours. Try to not allow your feelings of insecurity about what you do, or who you are, affect your view of others.
- Stop judging yourself. When you become unapologetic about who you are and what you do, you’ll find that, miraculously, people appreciate your candor. This doesn’t mean you have to be overly confident or borderline cocky. After all, feeling fear and self-doubt makes you human. Simply turn your focus on who you serve, and why you serve them. This moves your focus away from your inner critic.
- Don’t assume everyone is judging you. Sometimes, what you interpret as judgment from someone is just a lack of understanding or even a misunderstanding. Jumping to conclusions should probably be number 2 on this list. Nonetheless, take the time to truly evaluate if your feelings of judgement are a perception issue or true judgement. Either way, give them a chance to understand what it is you do, and truly get it, before dismissing their lackluster response as judgey.
- Stop chasing people’s approval. OK, so maybe they are judging you. So what? The truth is people will judge you no matter what you do, and no matter how you do it. You can’t change what people think. So why waste another bit of your precious energy worrying about it? As long as you feel good about who you are and what you’re doing, keep on trucking. Imagine if Beyonce cared about what people said. We might not even know who she is right now. And that would be CRAZY.
- Create an empowerment Circle. Pull together a group of people you can chill with and never have to worry that they don’t have your back. For me, that’s a group of other spiritual online business owners. When I’m with them, I never have to explain what alignment is, or ego, or what I do or why I do it.That is so freeing!
Let Go of Judgment
The number one way to let go of judgement is to simply love yourself for all that you are and all that you are not. You were born for a purpose. And that purpose is trying to come through. Let it!
Allow your light to shine. When you purpose is so much bigger than your fears…what others think simply won’t matter.
Now it’s time to turn this insight into action.
Grab a notebook, and spend 5 to 10 minutes writing your answers to these questions:
- Imagine the judgement you fear happens. What are three constructive and healthy ways you would deal with it?
- Write down Who You would Be, What you would Do, and What you Have if you have zero fears of being judged?